Thursday, January 3, 2013

Boxing Day Soup



We had Christmas at our house twice this year, so had lots of food to deal with after the last get-together. (I'm not complaininag!) I don't have a picture of the soup I made, but here are the appetizer trays that provided most of the soup ingredients. 

Brocolli
Cauliflower
Cherry Tomatoes
Bell Pepper
Onion
Baby Carrots
Mushrooms
Olive oil
Carbquik (low carb baking mix) (could use any type of flour or thickener)
Heavy Cream
Chicken Soup base
Turkey Broth
Water
Salt & Pepper
Summer Sausage
Cheese

Roast all your raw veggies by tossing them in olive oil and putting them in a 425 oven for 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, make a roux by heating 3 tablespoons of olive oil with 3 tablespoons of carbquik or other thickener.

Stir in several quarts of chicken broth. (I made mine with boiling water and chicken soup base. Also added some turkey broth I had in the freezer.)

Add the roasted veggies. Use a stick blender to puree. I left it chunky.

I had cooked mushrooms and onions that I added after pureeing. I also had a Hickory Farms summer sausage that I diced and added.

I also had a lot of cheese cubes of various flavors, so I cut them into tiny pieces and melted them into the soup.

The final touch was some heavy cream and salt & pepper. At that point I left it on simmer for around an hour to allow all the flavors to blend.

YUM!


No comments: